Sunday, August 5, 2007

"Tributes To Creativity"

HI Divas and Dukes!!!

Rayme and I are always talking about "Creativity". So I thought I'd open it up to all of you to share your inspiration with the rest of us.

This past Thurs. Rayme invited Tom and I on a "Duke Road Trip" to see the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. It was their 75th anniversary.

I love driving up the coast so I can look at the Pacific Ocean and catch glimpses of the surfers out in the silvery blue. That reminded me of a project I'm working on for my sister . It's a tissue canvas with a mermaid motif. Note to self...... Finish the project.

Tom and I hadn't been to the POTM for many years. It was GLORIOUS!!!!!!. A double cast of over 200 men , women and children. They take famous art pieces and recreate them to life size.
We walked around The Festival of Arts first, to see all the local artists and what their up to. It's more exciting than it sounds. Some have been in this show for 26 years. We saw jewelry, sculptures, paintings, photographs, and some beautiful hand painted clothes. My favorite part was the art from children from Kindergarten to 12th grade. I wanted to take some of their art home and hang it on our walls. Note to Tom.....I need more wall space!!!

After the performance we were lucky enough to get a backstage tour. I have to tell you , because of my theatre background, I've seen many back stages and dressing rooms. This was the most well organized dressing rooms and makeup area I've ever seen. You would never have believed that they had just finished a performance with a 200 person cast just 15 min. prior to our tour. Everything was pristine and spotless. not a drop of powder on the floor.

Did I mention the cast and crew is ALL volunteer?

They had wig heads for every person for their makeup. In this show, to make the paintings come to life, every cast member has to have Very specific shading on their face. Almost airbrushed. The Disney makeup artists come in to show the volunteer makeup artists how to apply it perfectly. Then the cast member gets their costume fitted and they wait to be placed IN their painting. The cast member is then carefully placed in the painting and secured with a cable for safety. When the lights come up, the orchestra plays, and their frozen for a few minutes. Every Masterpiece, whether it was a painting, bronze sculpture ,a piece of fine porcelain or King Tuts Throne made you gasp when the lights came up.
I left there wanting to move to a town that is so committed to being Creative. If I lived their, I would be involved with this incredible tribute to Creativity.

Does your city do something to celebrate creativity? Let us know!!!!!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I live in Richardson, one of the oldest suburbs of Dallas...but we still maintain a small town feel. We have 3 events that really celebrate the arts. In October we have the Cottonwood Arts Festival and the Huffhines Art Trails and in May we have an awesome 3 day music festival!
I always look forward to all of these events and love coming home so inspired!

Rayme Royale said...

Hello Divas and Dukes!

FINALLY, I am HERE! (As I promised that I would be on today's Diva Craft Lounge Radio Show!)

I so look forward to interacting with all of you on all kinds of creative ideas, craft projects, tips and home-town happenings!
(Hmmmm.....Home Town Happenings....)

I also had a great time at the Laguna "Pageant of the Masters" and was extremely inspired by all of the art work in the artists festival. The kids art actually became my favorite stuff as well! Although there was a brilliant gold/rust painting with two small humming birds floating just off center of the canvas that made my heart sing...

I'm thinking of starting to create some easy pictures just with pieces of paper. It's something that I remember doing in grade school, and I can't wait to explore it all again! (I remember doing a snow man in this fashion.....what will I come up with NOW?)

How about this:

CREATIVITY ~ It's not what you think.

Onward!!!

crazycurlgirl said...

I know this is off topic, but... I can't get the sound ever when I try to watch the "Yard Sale" video. Wjat do I need to do different?

Scrapbook Diva & Rayme Royale said...

Yeah!!!! Rayme you made it. Can't wait to see where this journey leads us!!!

Ashley, it sounds like we need to do a "Diva and Duke" Road Trip.

I went to a farmers market today and had the best time watching my friends Betty and Pete Anderson perform. They were terrific. Tom and I came home with fabulous veggies,fish,crafts and had a terrific lunch!!!! I found my new downfall...Advocado and cilantro hummus. Gotta Go!!! I'm hungry.
I can't wait to go next week.

Thanks for the heads up about the "Divasode"
We're looking into the technical glitch.
For any problems with the "Technical Stuff" You can write to: producer@divacraftlounge.com

Unknown said...

The Pageant of the Masters sounds fabulous! We don't have that much excitement around here. There are the typical craft fairs around the town square. The county fair just finished up and there are opportunities there to enter craft items in different categories to win ribbons and a little bit of cash. I went to look around the arts and crafts building Saturday to get an idea of what gets entered. I have some ideas now and maybe I'll enter next year.